What to Expect in a Divorce
Oklahoma City lawyers offer sound counsel on marriage dissolution
Butler & Flynn, PLLC in Oklahoma City offers comprehensive legal guidance to area residents who are going through a divorce. If your marriage is ending, it’s natural to be uncertain about what steps you’ll need to take to protect yourself and your children, if you have them, and to start the next phase of your life. Our experienced family law attorneys make sure that you are fully aware of your options and have a trustworthy advocate by your side at every stage of the process. Oklahomans who retain our firm to represent them in their divorce can count on:
- Knowledgeable advice
- Sound strategy
- Compassionate counsel
We give spouses the opportunity to explore their options in a free initial consultation so they can move forward with confidence no matter what they decide.
Knowledgeable attorneys prepare clients for each stage of the divorce process
Divorce has touched everyone’s lives in one way or another, but the pain and embarrassment often associated with dissolving a marriage leads to secrecy and gives rise to misconceptions. Our firm is dedicated to correcting the myths and preparing clients for what lies ahead. Typically, divorce cases have certain phases:
- One party will file for divorce in the district court for the county where the couple resides. Whoever files can seek a dissolution of marriage without alleging fault by declaring the parties are incompatible. Alternatively, the plaintiff could choose to accuse their partner of some type of marital misconduct.
- If the parties have agreed on all divorce terms, including custody, visitation, property division and support arrangements, the party who is served with papers can waive their right to respond and sign the settlement agreement provided to them.
- When issues remain in dispute, temporary arrangements are put in place to cover matters such as parenting time, child support, spousal maintenance (alimony) and property allocation while the divorce is pending.
- Assets and debts acquired during the course of the marriage are distributed among the spouses once the union is legally dissolved. There might be questions about valuation or whether a particular item should be classified as separate or marital property. We bring in experts when necessary to see that spouses and the court have access to complete and accurate information regarding investments, retirement accounts and all other assets.
- Even when parties seem far apart or highly emotional, skillful negotiation often leads to a mutually agreeable resolution that saves everyone from the time, expense and aggravation of a trial. A qualified third-party mediator might also provide an informed, neutral perspective that gives spouses the chance to understand the other side’s position and how their conflicts might be resolved in court. Our firm is committed to finding creative solutions that put clients in the best position possible to thrive once the divorce is completed.
- When a suitable settlement is not possible, our accomplished litigators prepare for trial and serve as strong courtroom advocates. Once an order is entered, we remain ready to assist clients if the decision should be appealed, modified or enforced.
We know that each divorce is unique, so our attorneys take the time to develop a thorough understanding of your circumstances and priorities. How your case will proceed and how much it will cost depend on numerous factors, including the choices you make, but regardless of how you approach this challenge, we make sure that you have the information and support you need.
Contact a dedicated Oklahoma divorce lawyer to schedule a free consultation
Butler & Flynn, PLLC represents Oklahoma residents in divorce proceedings and other family law matters. To make an appointment for a free consultation, please call 405-416-2711 or contact us online. We are located in Oklahoma City near the Quail Springs Mall.